COVID-19 is caused by a virus that spreads through droplets released when an infected person coughs or sneezes. A person can become infected with this new coronavirus by being in close contact (within 2 metres) with a person infected with COVID-19. Infection can also spread by touching a surface that an infected person coughed or sneezed on.
- The best way for schools to avoid COVID-19 infection is to:
– Ensure students and teachers wash their hands frequently
– Show students how to cough or sneeze into a tissue, or to cough into their elbow if they cannot get tissue
– Clean and disinfect their premises often
– Encourage sick students and teachers to stay home
Symptoms of COVID-19 are cough, shortness of breath, difficulty in breathing, fever, and muscle pain within 14 days of exposure to someone infected with the virus or returning from a country with ongoing community transmission.
If anyone has been in contact with a suspected case in a school, they should contact NCDC on 0800 9700 0010. While laboratory test results for COVID-19 are awaited, there is no need to close the facility or send students or staff home.
You can find the latest information and advice by contacting NCDC on:
– NCDC Toll-free Number: 080097000010
– SMS: 08099555577
– WhatsApp: 07087110839
– Website for additional resources: www.ncdc.gov.ng
To read more, click here.